Healthy Tips and Recipes
The collected wisdom of our patrons.
- Use applesauce instead of oil when baking. Less fat, added vitamins!
- Substitute non-fat evaporated milk for whole milk or cream in cooking, especially when making sauces. It cuts your fat and calories, and it's much easier to stock a can on the shelves of your pantry than letting cream go bad in the refrigerator.
- When you finish eating, put your fork (or spoon) on the plate with the handle down. You won't want to pick it up again to nibble.
Use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat flour when baking.
Keep cookies in the freezer. They'll be less tempting if they're off the counter or pantry, and you won't feel rushed to eat them before they get stale.
Make simple homemade salad dressings instead of buying bottles, so you can have more control over how much oil is in your salad.
Toss dressing into the entire salad, a little at a time, instead of pouring over top of each individual salad. A little dressing goes a long way.
Mint Chip Shake
- 1 frozen banana (peel before you freeze)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach
- 2 drops peppermint extract
- 15 chocolate chips, if desired
Blend all ingredients and serve. Children love it!
Green Monster Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 TBSP Peanut Butter
- 1/2 C. Greek Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 C. Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 C. Baby Spinach
Blend and enjoy!
MORNING GLORY MUFFINS
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut
- 1/2 c. raisins
- 2 c. grated carrots
- 1 apple, chopped into m&m sized pieces (Use yellow Golden & Delicious Apple)
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 c. nuts, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add fruit, coconut, raisins, crushed pineapple, apple. Also carrots and nuts. Stir to combine.
In separate bowl whisk eggs with oil and vanilla. Pour this mixture into bowl with dry ingredients and blend well.
Spoon batter in foil cupcake cups (2 1/3 diameter) and place on cookie sheet.
Fill each cup to brim. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
These need 24 hours to develop full flavor. Will freeze well.