Borrowing eBooks, step by step.
Step 1: Download Software
- Overdrive Media Console: Go to www.omc.overdrive.com. Select Mac or Windows, then click the "Download" button and follow the prompts.
- Adobe Digital Editions ("ADE"): Go to www.adobe.com/products/digitaladditions/. Click "Install Now" then select Mac or Windows. Follow the prompts to complete the installation and activation.
**When you open ADE for the first time, you will be asked to create an Adobe ID. This is required in order to download eBooks to your eReader. You will need an email address and a password.
Step 2: Borrow a Book
- Go to the library catalog and log in to your library account (upper right of the screen)
- Click the Overdrive logo at the bottom of the screen. This will take you to our digital library site.
- Browse the books or do a search to find the title you want.
- Click on the book title
**If the title is currently available, click "Borrow" and proceed to the next step
**If it is unavailable, click the "Hold" button to reserve the next available copy.
- Under the "Download" button, select an eBook format.
Step 3: Transfer to an eReader
- Adobe Digital Editions will open automatically once you download a title.
- Connect your eReader to the computer.
**The first time you connect an eReader, it will need to be authorized using your Adobe ID (the email and password you set up when you downloaded Adobe Digital Editions)
- The eReader will be listed automatically under the "Bookshelves" tab on the right side of the screen. Drag & drop the eBook you downloaded to the eReader.
- After the transfer is complete, you can disconnect your device from the computer.
Step 4: Read and Enjoy!
**Wondering which eBook format is right for you? Check out Overdrive's Device Resource Center to see which formats your device will support!
Sponsored in part by a grant from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission